About the New Life Church Men's MAFIA Ministries:

“…but among you it should be quite different. Whoever wants to be a leader among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must become your slave. For even I, the Son of Man, came here not to be served but to serve others, and to give my life as a ransom for many." Matthew 20:26-28 (NLT)

The New Life Church Men's MAFIA (Men After Faith, Integrity & Action) is a Christian fellowship of brothers-in-Christ dedicated to supporting each another, the NLC congregation and the community-at-large through service outreach (H.I.T.S. – Helping in the Spirit) , masculine accountability & encouragement, discipleship and prayer ministries.

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

MAFIA Reminder of the Week: Don’t Worry Be Happy

Greeting Hitmen,

It is so easy to get irritated, frustrated or jealous and even angry at the people, environments and circumstances in our life. Like many of you, I have to work on this daily within certain relationships, most of my own making. One thing that helps to not only calm me but bring the confidence of peace in a difficult situation is to fall upon God’s Word. It always amazes me how a good translation of the Bible and a good topical index can give me a “map through the minefields” of life and love.

Recently I have embarked upon a journey to draw myself closer to God, specifically by gaining grace and focus in my life. While reading night before last, I turned to the 37th Psalm. Now I must have read this passage of scripture no less than 10 or 12 times in my life and drawn from it that I should just “deal with it,” whatever the “it” is. The Psalm speaks about the ills of anger and rage, the follies of the strongholds brought about by our sin nature, and the importance of patience in conquering difficult situations. But I don’t think I’ve ever noticed in previous readings that it starts out by saying, “Don’t worry about the wicked.” Does this mean that I shouldn’t worry about those people who seem to be getting away with doing wrong things? Yes! The Word goes on to describe that their day in the sun is short, that their moment of glory will soon be over. What I, and all of us men who follow Christ, should do is involve ourselves in things that have lasting value by faithfully serving God and helping the people around us. God wants us to develop a close personal relationship with Him; and, be determined to serve Him in everything we do. Then in God’s perfect timing, all will see that God’s way is right!

How do we do that? What does this look like? Get out of the boat or off the sidelines and help out. That is why HITS (Helping in the Spirit) are so important to the MAFIA team. It is how we demonstrate not only to God, who already knows our hearts, but to others in need of encouragement and support that God places the needs of others in our hearts – because He loves them and wants to bless them, to draw close to them. If you think about it, how did the Lord rescue you from wickedness? Where will your heart be the next time you need to be saved?

In His service,

Luke Ribich

No comments:

Post a Comment