About the New Life Church Men's MAFIA Ministries:

“…but among you it should be quite different. Whoever wants to be a leader among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must become your slave. For even I, the Son of Man, came here not to be served but to serve others, and to give my life as a ransom for many." Matthew 20:26-28 (NLT)

The New Life Church Men's MAFIA (Men After Faith, Integrity & Action) is a Christian fellowship of brothers-in-Christ dedicated to supporting each another, the NLC congregation and the community-at-large through service outreach (H.I.T.S. – Helping in the Spirit) , masculine accountability & encouragement, discipleship and prayer ministries.

Thursday, July 1, 2010

MAFIA Reminder of the Week: Submission, the key to Leadership!?

Greeting Hitmen,

For those of you whom have known me for more than a few minutes, you know how deeply important the history of my military service is to me. In fact, were it not for the lessons learned in the Corps, I do not know if I would have had the courage to make a full commitment to Jesus, a decision that ran counter to the policy of past employers and even some of my relatives. Recently I had the occasion to have one of our MAFIA brothers visit me in my office and he noticed on my desk, positioned alongside my Holy Bible, was a copy of a book I reference often, even before coming to know the Lord Jesus Christ, the book is called “Leading Marines.”

Leading Marines, isn’t really a book I explained it is United States Marine Corps Fleet Marine Force Memo #1-0 (FMFM 1-0). It is a detailed explanation and model of leadership. Now, I want to be clear that the scriptures are the definitive source of both moral instruction and example by virtue of the source, wisdom and lives of Christ and the other saints; however, I often need to be reminded in modern day language what it takes to be a leader, and what that leadership looks like in application. In those times I often fall upon the leadership principles and examples found in FMFM 1-0.

Since our friend’s visit in my office, I was reading a passage of comments the 13th Commandant of the Marine Corps, Major General John A. Lejeune, uttered in description of Sergeant Major John H. Quick, a Metal of Honor recipient: “Perhaps of all the Marines I ever knew, Quick approached more nearly the perfect type of noncommissioned officer. A calm, forceful, intelligent, loyal and courageous man he was. I never knew him to use profane language, and yet he exacted and obtained prompt and explicit obedience from all persons subject to his orders.” While I read these words I was moved to tears through conviction by the Holy Spirit because I know that I don’t always exercise leadership in the manner of Christ or my beloved Marine Corps tradition. 

The tradition of leadership education in the Marines uniquely mirrors that of Christ in that it has often been described as “leading by example.” In fact, leadership, in the long run, depends upon the example set by the leader (or the leaders leader), not only as a warfighter, but also as a Christ follower, citizen and human being. Being a Christian gives us no special relief from our call to lead by example, only a venue to accept the consequences and grace that comes our way as a result of our failings. In fact, because we call ourselves Christians, the effect of our example is emphasized and magnified a hundred-fold, particularly among our secular and non-believer friends. Being leaders by setting the example, in our homes, communities, workplace, socially, and within the body of Christ is far more important in the realm of principalities than in any other activity – military or civilian, because it is eternal. In fact, more often than not, the best way to lead others is to submit and be led ourselves!

This weeks reminder is straight out of Hebrews 13-17: “Obey your spiritual leaders and do what they say. Their work is to watch over your souls, and they know they are accountable to God. Give them reason to do this joyfully and not with sorrow. That would certainly not be for your benefit.

In His service,

Luke Ribich

No comments:

Post a Comment